The Blue-Collar Diet

Wednesday, August 03, 2005

Be Careful

I arrived this morning to happily discover I would be the selected person to tear out the old deck. Nothing cheers me up like finding out that I get to do some legal vandalism.

Unfortunately, I was not able to destroy the entire structure. We just needed to remove the planks and replace them with the recently relocated redwood boards.

Pulling the planks was a quick job; the next step would be replacing them. As we decided on our plan of attack, I was designated the cut man. This meant I would be taking measurements from the other guys, giving them the cut board, and then moving on to the next one as they installed it.

In case you’re not aware, redwood is rather pricey, in fact, I had never even been on a job where it was used before moving here. From what my coworkers tell me, an eight-foot redwood 2x4 costs somewhere in the area of $15-16. Compare that with a pine board of the same dimensions costing you roughly $3-4, and you can see how the material is not to be wasted.

So given that I was the cut man, the task of making sure we wasted as little wood as possible fell on my shoulders. I’m proud to say that I made some awesome cuts today, and the issue never came up as zero boards had to be tossed for being measured and cut incorrectly. My weight this evening was 169 pounds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home