The Blue-Collar Diet

Thursday, July 28, 2005

Up and Down

I spent today working on trim and siding once again. We’ve made it to a point that requires three levels of scaffolding to reach.

I more or less spent nine hours climbing up and down scaffolding for various reasons. The amazing thing is that I really wasn’t that tired afterwards.

I have to compare that with helping my parents install drywall when we were building their house. We had two levels of scaffolding to install the cathedral ceiling sheetrock.

The timing just happened to occur when I was pretty much at my peak of lardassdom. I huffed and puffed all day, and was sore for a couple of days afterwards.

I was sure it was proof that I wasn’t cut out for manual labor. Now I’m pretty sure it was just proof of the pitiful office slug I had become.

The past couple of months have really gotten me back into good shape. We went rafting a couple of weekends ago, and after rowing all day, my arms weren’t even sore.

The body takes a little bit of a beating from constant bruises, splinters, and small cuts, but I think the benefits of the exercise outweigh. When your body is in better shape, you have more energy to do fun things; life’s too short to be a dough pile. I weighed 169 this evening.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home