The Blue-Collar Diet

Friday, July 29, 2005

Playing with a Pecker

While we were working on the trim yesterday, a few of the other guys set the trusses. Evidently, I’ve either been doing a good job of installing metal hangers, or I suck at installing metal hangers, because this morning I was again asked to install metal hangers, this time tying the trusses to the top plates of the exterior walls of our new garage.

It was time to bring out the woodpecker again. I’ve developed a habit of wearing ear plugs when I use that thing cause it is loud as hell. Anytime something is loud enough to make the inside of my ears get that weird vibraty-scratchy feeling, it’s time to put in some plugs. Years and years of loud punk rock concerts have done enough damage, there’s no reason to make it worse at work.

The FNG was asked to stay late to put in a mock up of a false chimney so the homeowners could get a feel for how it would look from the street.

He would be working on the roof alone, on overtime, so I told him it could only mean one of a few things: A) He’s the cheapest, B) He’s expendable in the event of a fall, C) He’s the favorite, or D) It’s a test. He told me to stop making him feel like he was in college again, and we both laughed, then kind of trailed off as we were reminded of our evil, evil student loans once again.

After another week of hard work, I’ve finally made it below the 170 mark. I finished the week out at 169 pounds, over ten pounds, and several inches smaller than when I started this endeavor.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home