The Blue-Collar Diet

Thursday, July 21, 2005

Mind Games

We finally got to stand up some walls today. The homeowners were definitely excited to see the project start to take some structure.

Over the past few days, I’ve picked up a habit of giving measurements in weird fractions. For instance, instead of saying five inches, I might say 3 and 32 sixteenths. It’s the same number, but it takes a second, and since I’m a huge math nerd, my warped mind finds it amusing.

However, my natural ability to lead others down the path of the dark side has taken hold once again, as the practice has spread to my co-workers. In fact, many of the measurements now being given back and forth don’t even appear on a tape measure. Your won’t find a seventh’s mark anywhere, so good luck finding two and fourteen sevenths if you don’t understand fractions.

A little joking around from time to time makes the day go by faster, and it makes your job a little more entertaining. I challenge you to try to be angry with a smile on your face, it almost physically impossible, a fact that I used more than once to make my mom laugh and forget she was supposed to be in mad-punishment mode when she was yelling at me for being a little shithead.

We left this afternoon with two massive new walls standing up. Congratulations to the guys on a job well done. Once again, my weight this evening was 172 pounds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home