The Blue-Collar Diet

Tuesday, August 02, 2005

Are You Sure?

My stint as a newly appointed Mexican continued today as we were assigned to siding and trim once again. As the day progressed, we were able to complete one side of the building; it looks awesome finished.

Not long after we finished tearing down the scaffolding, we received a lumber delivery. It was a huge stack of redwood 2x4’s, destined for the deck around back. Given that the wood was dropped off in the road out front, the wood was going to need to find a way to the back before it could be used.

Four of us set about the task of moving the pile. Evidently, the foreman pulled his old trick of asking for it to be moved then leaving. That’s based on hearsay though so I can’t say for sure, but I have a sneaky suspicion that there’s some truth to it.

As we were moving the wood, I set my pieces down, stepped back, and said, “Man, that pile of lumber is really red.” Then I waited. Wait for it, Wait for it.

One of my amigos turned around, with that classic look of, dude, are you really that stupid, and said to me, “That’s cause it’s redwood dumb ass.”

I told him I knew but wanted to see if he’d tell me I was an idiot or not. He tends to enjoy busting balls almost as much as I do, so I thought he would, and he did.

Given that moving the pile of wood happened at the end of the day, I went home pretty worn out. Maybe it’s just me, but there seems to be something about climbing a mountain about 30 times in a row with a stack of lumber on your shoulder that takes the energy out of you. I weighed in this evening at 168 pounds again, must have burned off some water this afternoon.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home