The Blue-Collar Diet

Monday, August 01, 2005

Gringo Mexicano

My alarm clock didn’t really wake me to the full extent this morning, so I hit the snooze button two more times than normal, completely unaware of my folly.

As I frantically threw on clothes and installed my contacts, I had to take a second to scold the cat.

On every other day, including weekends, she will come down, jump on the bed, and meow to wake us up if it’s more than five minutes later than when normally rise for work. Where were you today fur-ball?

I skipped making a lunch and still managed to make it to work on time. We had six guys at the site this morning, three Gringos, and three Mexicans.

Our foreman said that the three Mexicans would work on the siding in the back, and the Gringos would work on framing out garage.

One of the Mexican guys, said, “Oh I see how it is, send the Mexicans to the back.’ He likes to bust balls a lot, so we all knew it was in jest and had a good laugh.

As we were rolling out, the boss pulled up and said he needed to take the gentleman who had just split our sides to work on another job. In his place, I was to go work on the siding.

Early in the morning, I was dubbed “Gringo Mexicana” by my companions. It basically means Mexican Whiteboy. Today, I was dubbed an honorary Mexican.

In the afternoon, the foreman came around to inspect our work, and told us we had done a nice job. I said, “Hell yeah, when you want good work, you send in the Mexicans.”

He said, “Dude, what are you talking about? You’re a blonde-haired, blue-eyed Whiteboy.”

I told him that I had been dubbed an honorary Mexican, and that furthermore, I didn’t appreciate the White Man coming around to breath down our necks. I told him my brown brothers and I were tired of being oppressed in this White-Man’s world.

My Mexican buddies were just rolling, and he was laughing pretty good as well. I must admit, he played along with my stupidity pretty well, right up to the point when I started pumping my fist chanting, “Brown-Power, Brown-Power.”

It’s nice to work around guys that aren’t all uptight about the race thing. No one cares about that sort of thing, all we ask is that you put in an honest day’s work. After my day, I weigh 170 pounds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home