The Blue-Collar Diet

Tuesday, July 19, 2005

Nice Burn

We finished sheeting the deck this morning. We are ready to start putting up walls, but once again we needed to do some demo work to prepare.

We needed to tear into the roof and the walls of the existing structure so that we can tie our new walls into the old framing. We had one man on the roof ripping up shingles and such and I was nominated to tear off the sheeting on the walls beneath.

The foreman thought it would be a good idea to wear a hard hat to protect my head from wood shingles falling from the sky. He had three to choose from; I picked the one set up to be backwards.

Hardhats have a pull-out support system, so you can pull it out, turn it around, and presto, you’re wearing your hat backwards. On rare occasions, you will run across construction workers who aren’t smart enough to reverse the support system, so they have a big knob sticking out of their foreheads. I’m not sure where a knob ranks, but I’m pretty sure it’s worse than a tattoo reading “moron” on your forehead.

So anyway, I was totally into the whole wearing a hardhat thing. I commented that it was cool and made me look like a real construction worker. My foreman just stopped for a second and said, “Yeah….sometimes looks can be deceiving.” Butt of the joke or not, it was a great burn. I finished the day at 172 pounds.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home