The Blue-Collar Diet

Thursday, July 14, 2005

Gentleman, Get Out Your Shades

Once again, I woke up this morning expecting the day to be a scorcher. Well, at least the weatherman had led me to believe it would be.

Several times over the past couple of weeks, we have talked about working in shorts and tennis shoes instead of our typical jeans and boots attire. We all agree that it would make the heat a little easier to deal with in shorts.

Well, our foreman had said it was ok to wear shorts, and I just figured that everyone else was scared to be the first person to do it. I myself have no such problems testing the waters.

I decided this morning to take the plunge and go to work in shorts and tennis shoes. My girlfriend wasn’t sure it was a good idea, and was convinced I would just end up with more scrapes on my legs, if they even let me work at all. I decided to take a pair of jeans and my boots just incase.

I showed up to work, sporting my blindingly white legs to everyone’s surprise. No one really said anything so the spare pair of jeans were able to lounge in the truck all day.

I worked throughout the day with shorts, and as it got hotter, I’m sure the guys were secretly jealous of my edge in heat dissipation. I must say that the tennis shoes weren’t a great idea, as more than a couple of times I had to take off my shoe to pour out a bunch of dirt. Also, I lost quite a bit of ankle support, so I’m thinking a pair of high top sneakers would be a better idea.

While I did catch my fair share of wisecracks regarding the lack of pigment in my legs, the extra breeze was nice. I did kind of miss the sense of protection my jeans give me, as they do a great job of shielding me from small debris like sawdust and the little plastic things that fly off of nail clips when you shoot a nail gun.

We left the site looking forward to a short day tomorrow. We haven’t had one in a couple of weeks because of the holiday and all, so we’re ready. I was 172 pounds again tonight.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home